Sunday, April 3, 2011

Hearing God’s Will (Learning to Listen)

Along the way I’ve discovered that listening is most effective when we are able to endure the long silence that comes before deep revelations.
I spent most of my life frustrated by God's profound silence. I cried out asking Him to speak to me, to show me His way. But the truth is I wasn’t listening.
One day, while riding my bike to work and praying, all the normal distractions were set aside. It was just me, God, and the whispering wind, and I finally heard it. Of course it wasn’t an audible voice. Instead it was a silent whisper to my heart. And at that moment I knew a peace like I’d never known. I knew God had plans for me. That morning I turned my day over to Him, and the next day, and the next…
After I finally started listening, God showed me His will in many ways. I slowly began to recognize His voice in other areas of my life. Sometimes I heard His voice in a song on the radio, sometimes in the words of a friend, sometimes in a quieting of my soul. Once I began to listen, I recognized His voice, and it constantly surrounded me.
So join me on my joyful journey as I continue to listen for God’s voice allowing His Word to saturate my soul until I know Him so well that, like a friend, I immediately recognize His sweet voice.   

Naked and Vulnerable (Thoughts from the Pot): Learning only happens when we are silent—when we honestly listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment