Sunday, April 24, 2011

Following Christ (Forsaking Self)

Along the way I’ve discovered that it isn’t all about me (or at least it shouldn’t be).
In the past couple of years I’ve been on a journey of self discovery; I have been seeking that one thing that fulfills me, that one thing that will give my life purpose, that one thing that I can accomplish, that one thing that I can excel at, that one thing that I, I, I ….
One day as I stopped to examine my journey I realized that it was overflowing with “I” and that it was not filled with Him.
During this journey my prayers sounded something like this: God lead me to something that will be fulfilling. I know You have a plan for my life, so please reveal it to me. Show me something that I can excel at, something that I can accomplish for You, something that I, I, I….
One day God stopped me in the midst of my prayer and said, “I am that I am. I am fulfilling, fully and completely, without anything more. I am enough for you.”
It was then that I realized that if I don’t look to God I become completely wrapped up in self, my vision becomes so inwardly focused that I can no longer see Him.
I’m still working out what it looks like to follow Christ fully, to completely leave my old self behind. I’m still discovering the new heart, the new spirit, and the new person God is creating in me. So join me on this joyful journey as I daily put God first in my life by allowing Him will to lead me and by recognizing that He is enough for me.

Naked and Vulnerable (Thoughts from the Pot): When I looked for God’s plans for my life by taking a journey of self discovery, I discovered exactly what I was looking for—myself instead of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment