Monday, May 21, 2012

The Family of God (A Beacon on a Hill)

Along the way I’ve discovered that there’s a special connection within families. When a family is emotionally and spiritually healthy there is something magnetic and monstrously strong in the thick ropes of love that bind them together; there is a fierce loyalty, an immovable love that washes away petty fights and angry words; there is an unspoken understand...ing that regardless of what you do they will always, always stand beside you, forgiving your wrongs and steadfastly standing by your side ready to fight your battles, shoulder to shoulder.

Sadly, not all families are bound together with this kind of fierce, immovable love. Too many families find that their ropes of love are tattered and rotten; too late they discover those ropes easily fall away with the slightest tug.

When God first called me to join His family, remembering the broken and rotting ropes of my earthly family, I politely decline, saying, “No thank you; I don’t need any more family drama. I’m better off on my own.” I said this because I had never experienced the thick ropes of love that bind a healthy family together; and without this example of a loyal, loving family I was incapable of understanding what it meant to be part of God’s family.

But God is the Great Healer and He healed much of the brokenness in my family—He healed the brokenness of our hearts. He gave me a plethora of examples, including families in my church and my husband’s rough and rowdy, fiercely-loyal, abundantly-loving family. He restored my picture of love, my idea of family, and my picture of God as a loving father.

So join me as I allow God to continue restoring my vision of family. Join me as I determine to be a productive, fiercely loyal member of God’s amazing family. Join me as I stand shoulder to shoulder with my fellow believers and restore the world’s picture of love, family, and God.

Final Thought: God’s family should be a beacon on a hill shining God’s perfect love to a dark, hurting world.
See More

No comments:

Post a Comment