Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Giving It to God (Conquering My Pride)

Along the way I’ve discovered that I am often completely crippled by unchecked pride in my life. This pride envelops my life, conjuring up countless fears: Fear I’ll mess up, fear I’ll look stupid, fear I’ll fail, fear I’ll do it wrong—fear I’ll be wrong.

Pride is insidious, often hiding in a seemingly beguine cloak of fear, but the root of my fear (if I’m completely honest with myself) is that my delicate pride will be mortally wounded. This ugly, stubborn pride of mine often keeps me from saying that I’m sorry or admitting that I’m wrong and, at times, it completely cripples my attempts to succeed in life. Pride also stops me from doing simple acts of service or from allowing others to provide service to me; prideful thoughts like, “Why should I stoop down,” or “I can do it myself,” often run through my mind.

In my life, pride and fear walk hand-in-hand, building an insurmountable barrier I’m unable to overcome on my own. Pride is my jail keeper, wrapping me in heavy chains that hold me back. Yes, pride seems to be an insurmountable obstacle.

So how do I conquer my ugly, stubborn pride? How do I move past it and, like Jesus, become a servant to man? The answer is simple: Turn it over to God.

It is only by recognizing God’s sovereign power, by standing humbly before the throne of the almighty God, by admitting my weakness, by recognizing my tiny, insignificant place in the universe, and by acknowledging that it is only through the love, grace, and power of God that I can succeed. It is only in the light of this truth that I can recognize my place in the universe and acknowledge that it’s God’s power, not my own, that daily gives me strength.

So join me as I bow humbly before the throne of God and ask for His wisdom and strength in my constant battle with pride.

Final Thought: God is my constant source of strength, giving me the courage to face the truth and fight the seemingly-endless battles in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment