Sunday, July 31, 2011

My First Relationship (Honor Thy Parents)

Along the way I’ve discovered that if I follow God’s 10 Love Laws they will assist me in cultivating eternal relationships and guide me on my quest for a more joyful life.

Recently I’ve discovered that having a good relationship with my parents assists me in my quest for joyful living.

The fifth commandment has always been a tough one for me to come to terms with. In this commandment, God addresses the first relationships we experience—our relationship with our parents. These two pivotal relationships set the tone for the rest of the relationships in our lives.

The relationship with my parents has been a lesson hard-learned for me. My relationship with them suffered for many years due to my disregard for this commandment. I did not respect my parents or the wisdom they shared. However, in recent years I have come to realize that my parents have accumulated a wealth of knowledge in their many years—a knowledge that I can still benefit from today.

I’ve learned that honoring my parents doesn’t mean that I will always agree with them or with what they do, but it does mean that I always give them the respect they deserve. And I’ve also learned that by simply changing my attitude, I can begin to heal these relationships that continue to shape who I am becoming.

I’ve found that my relationship with my parents truly is enhanced, and I avoid some serious life mistakes when I respect my parents, listening to their wise words; after all, they spent many years making mistakes, so I plan on taking advantage of those years of “research” by learning from their wisdom.

So join me as I embrace the flawless wisdom of God, changing my attitude toward my parents and showing them honest and sincere respect, healing the brokenness of these relationships that once shattered my life.

Final Thought: Building strong, solid relationships can be a lifelong challenge, but the payoff is eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment