Saturday, May 7, 2011

Service Redefined (Love in Action)

Along the way I’ve discovered that service is love in action and this love should express itself in every thought, in every word, in every deed.

Recently I’ve wrestled with the idea of service, asking myself what it should look like and how it should play out in my life. After much prayer, asking God to show me the right charity, to point me to the right volunteer opportunity, to show me how I should serve, I’ve concluded that I need to throw out the idea that service is a once-a-year, once-a-month, once-a-week, or even a once-a-day act that I check off my to-do list; instead, I must view service as a lifestyle choice.

This realization required me to stop attempting to fit service into my busy schedule and learn instead to embrace the barrage of endless opportunities that quietly introduce themselves every minute of every day. I had to redefine service and embrace the idea that service in my life should be an accumulation of small acts that become embedded into my everyday rituals—acts that are transformed from conscious acts of service into a steady stream of service habits. For service to become habitual I must start by intentionally scrutinizing every activity, every interaction, and every chance encounter for service opportunities.

I want to embark on a lifelong journey of service, where service tops every priority list, pervades every thought, and becomes a permanent part of my psyche. I want the words “How can I help you?” to live on my lips. And I want my automatic response to every situation to be an open hand reaching out to help.

So join me on this joyful journey as I redefine service in my life, as I look at every moment for opportunities to serve, and as I make these words my daily prayer: God, make me a servant.



Naked and Vulnerable (Thoughts from the Pot): As a Christian, I am commissioned to be a servant, to live a life fully dedicated to the service of God and my fellow man.

No comments:

Post a Comment