Saturday, December 8, 2012

My Mission to Love (It’s Not All About Me)

Along the way I’ve discovered that I’m in constant need of this simple reminder: It’s not all about me.

If I want to follow Christ’s commandment to love (both God and others), I must stop focusing on myself and my multitude of problems; I must stop categorizing and classifying others; I must set aside my selfish desire to be better than others, my selfish desire to fit into a specific group, my selfish desire to be accepted by the world. I must set aside self, take up my cross, and follow Christ (see Matthew 16:24).

My selfish need to classify others by what they wear, the way they speak, the things they do, or the sins they’ve committed is directly tied to my deep desire to be loved and accepted. But, if I want to follow Jesus’ commission to love, I must set aside these categorizations and instead view everyone as a child of God.

This may seem like an impossible commission, but here’s the good news: When I turn my life fully over to Jesus, I become a new creation, and I no longer fall into the world’s meaningless categories; instead, I become a part of God’s family. I am no longer defined by my status in this world; instead, I’m defined by my status as a child of God. I am no longer a struggling citizen of earth; instead, I’m an eternal citizen of heaven. I am transformed into a reflection of Christ.

So join me as I keep this simple truth front and center: It isn’t all about me; it’s all about God. Join me as I daily devote myself to Christ, allowing His unconditional love to transform my view of myself and those around me.

Final Thought: I can only succeed in my mission to love when I allow God to mold me into His image.

No comments:

Post a Comment