Sunday, November 27, 2011

A New Focus (Praises Not Problems)

Along the way I’ve discovered that prayers of praise lift me up and remind me of God’s abundant blessings. Unfortunately, my recent prayers have reverted to asking, begging, complaining, and whining about all the things I want or need. But on further consideration, I’ve come to realize that this is not the intent of prayer; instead, prayer should be a constant conversation filled with praise and gratitude for God’s daily blessings.

While I truly believe that God wants to hear our concerns as much as our praises, I’ve noticed recently that my complaints have outweighed my praises. I find that when I stop counting my blessings, focusing instead on my problems, I begin to sink like Peter on the Sea of Galilee. When I take my eyes off the blessings (and the God Who pours them out), I begin to sink under my heavy burdens—the very burdens I once gave to Him, but have now taken back onto my own shoulders.

Knowing this, I’m determined to place new prayers on my lips, prayers of thanksgiving and praise, prayers that remind me of the blessings instead of focusing on the burdens God has already taken from me.

So join me as I give all the glory to God for his abundant blessings, especially the blessing of bearing my heavy burdens.

Final Thought: A good way to put my troubles into perspective is to focus on my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment