Thursday, June 30, 2011

Focusing on Others (Becoming a Blessing)

Along the way I’ve discovered my selfishness runs deep, often rearing its ugly head, interfering with my desire to live a joyful, others-focused life. One of the most pervasive lies the devil embeds into the fabric of our society is that thinking about me is not only good, it’s essential to abundant living.

This lie has quietly slipped into my life and, at the most inopportune times, it interferes with my joyful journey.

Sadly, this lie is very persistent in spreading its ideal of selfishness. Often without even realizing it, I find myself holding this lie up as a banner, fully convinced that I’m standing up for what is right—defending my rights. The sad truth is I’m only selfishly holding on to my self-centeredness.

Here’s the beautiful truth: Putting God first, then others second, and me third is the recipe for a truly abundant life. When we turn our selfish desires over to God, asking Him to fill us with His love, our lives will be lived out in joyful service.

So join me as I ask God to turn my selfish journey into a joyful journey of selflessness where God is King and I finally discover that by blessing others I can’t help but be abundantly blessed myself.

Naked and Vulnerable (Thoughts from the Pot):  The best way to be blessed is to be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment