Thursday, February 21, 2013

New Hearts for Old (Allowing God to Transform Me)

Along the way I’ve discovered that the world looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart. This realization is daily transforming the way I live.
The past few weeks, I’ve been pondering the ramifications of living in the presence of God. This topic is essential because when I invite God into my life that’s exactly what I’m asking—I’m asking God to walk with me every minute of every day, to be a perpetual presence in my life.
So, what does it look like to live perpetually in the presence of God? Does it mean my every hair must be in place, my words must be perfect, my actions flawless, so I look presentable to God? The Bible says:For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart” 1 Samuel 16:7b (ESV).
With this in mind, it becomes evident that if I’m going to be presentable to God it’s my heart I must perfect. I don’t need to clean up my actions, my clothes, or my speech before coming into the presence of God (like I might when meeting someone with worldly power or influence); instead, I must clean up my heart.
Wow! God really has high expectations of me! Yes, but here’s the good news: God doesn’t require me to do the impossible task of cleaning up my own heart. God promises, if I will only ask, He will replace my stony, unfaithful heart with a new fleshly heart that desires to please Him (see Ezekiel 36:26-27). It’s just that simple. My task is clear: I must turn everything over to God. I must surrender my stony heart and ask Him to transform me.
So join me as recognize and embrace this beautiful truth: The impossible work has already been done by Jesus; all I need to do is accept His free gift, surrendering my filthy, sin-riddled heart to God, giving him permission to transform me.
Final Thought: Only when we allow God to work in our lives, to change our heart, can we live continually in the presence of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment